The Boat

Katla is a 26ft Wooden Gaff Cutter built by Martin Lund in 2006 of the Wynfall design by Mark Smaalders.

She is
Carvel built of Mahogany planks over sawn Pine frames. The planks are fastened with Stainless Steel (316) screws and the frames are glued and fastened using wooden pegs and Galvanised bolts. Before painting, all wood was treated with a mixture of Turpentine, Pine Oil and Cuprinol.

The deck is Marine Plywood epoxy laminated and covered with chopped strand mat in epoxy resin. The Spar is of Siberian Larch. The rudder is transom hung on Stainless Steel (316) pintles.

The ballast keel is a Stainless Steel (316) box of 6mm sides and bottom, which has lead ingots in it. The lead is then laid in poliester resin inside. Five Stainless Steel (316) tubes are welded inside vertically through the keel box, where the keel bolts go through, meaning the box is completely sealed from seawater. There are 5 Stainless Steel (316) keelbolts to carry 1.5 tonnes. It is a massively strong construction.

There are no through hull fittings and a water tight bulkhead under the cockpit.

The broker described her as: 'A sturdy and salty little lady. Which will appeal to traditionalists on a budget'.

There is no inboard engine, no toilet, no electronics, and traditional (Block & Tackle) rigging (no winches).

LOA: 26' - 5"
LWL: 23' - 10"
BEAM: 8' - 10"
DRAFT: 3' - 10"
DISP: 9500 lbs
BALLAST: 3300 lbs
D/L: 343
SAIL AREA: 466 sq. ft.

The Trip

View Katla

Tuesday 18 August 2009

A New Adventure

Well almost two months has now passed and tomorrow (Weds) evening (19:45 19.08.09) I fly out from London City airport (via Paris) to St Martin to see Katla for the first time. Unfortunately I have to spend a night in Paris and will arrive the next day around noon (local time).

It's been a very stressfull couple of days with two hurricanes Ana & Bill (Cat2 - still active) skirting very close to St Martin. Reg the broker has been amazing in keeping me informed and ensuring Katla is safe on her mooring. I actually found out that she successfully weathered a cat3 hurricane (Omar) last October.

Another headache is trying (and failing) to fit my entire world, at least all the things dear to me and all the things I consider essential into my 40kg (2 x 20Kg) luggage allowance. Thank God that there is a lot of stuff already aboard - and thank God Crutey (the Ground Crew) has room in his loft for all my belongings I am not able to carry.

For those of you who have been following my antics on YachtDoris, please update your bookmarks to YachtKatla as from now on this is my new Blog. Long live YachtDoris!

A new adventure is about to begin ...

2 comments:

  1. Oi oi sailor. I hear you're spending a few days in my homeland Maidstone (big up) helping Crutey steal some alloys and stuff. I woulda loved to have helped but I'm stuck in Sweden until Friday evening :*( Hope all is good with you. I will catch up with you at some point. Happy late birthday by the way. ;)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, you must come from a less desirable area of Maidstone than me! ;-)

    Afraid you've missed the chance to see Boo in person, safely delivered to City Airport (£8 and hour parking!!!) last night and should be tired and grumpy in an airport outside Paris as I type! I'm sure Boo will update everyone about the airport adventure (unpacking wetsuit, etc from main luggage to get weight down in front of hand-luggage only business people, me carrying the few bits we didn't manage to cram into his hand luggage around wrapped in a towel Dick Wittington styley!) when he's settled on Katla (and can find power/ wifi).

    Crutey

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment even if its just to say 'Hello'.